Re: RC: Norco Riverdance Ride

Lauren, et al.

Because my ride is in an urban area, it attracts a lot more people
who are new to the sport, as well as crossovers from NATRC.

Do the NRR attendees remember the awards ceremony, where I announced
for so many completors, that it was their first ride?

OK, major soapbox topic.

Simply, it's the amount of time I spend on the telephone talking to
new riders, before they've been exposed to AERC, followed by the
indignity of collecting and submitting non-member rider fees of $10
per person, in return for no assistance by AERC.  If AERC provided
support materials "intro to endurance riding", I could mail these out
and save myself tremendous time and effort, and wouldn't mind the
extra postage expense.  These rider inquiries are not questions about
the ridecamp site, but about the basics of endurance riding.  I can
tell them about the handbook that they'd get if they join, but that
doesn't help them *right before the event*.

27 out of 58 riders on my LD paid this non-member fee!   I will grant
that AERC's national publicity efforts deserve some of that fee.  But
that's it!  *I'm* the uncompensated point man for AERC, as are all
other RMs for rides that attract new riders.  This sounds like it's
just an LD issue, but it's not.  I spent a lot of time with the local
riders who were going to do their first 50s, and those trying
endurance that are CTR riders normally.

I had 5 people join at the ride, even though it's late in the ride
year.  The forms provided didn't allow for any proration.  I ran out
of AERC apps prior to the ride from mailing them to other folks who
sent them in, and had to ask for more.   Might even be some kind of
record for a late-year ride.  All of the 50s either were already
members or joined at the ride.

So many people on ridecamp objected to the non-member fee when it was
instituted because they felt their region's riders wouldn't want to
enter because it costs too much.  Not a problem in my area; not one
person bitched about the fee.   But to me, the fee does *nothing* to
support my efforts as a RM.   And administration is more complex
because of the need to collect the fee.

Last year, I answered even more newbie questions.  This year was
easier, and we had a lot of repeat riders from last year for whom
this is only their second ride, but I felt like salt was being rubbed
in the wound as I counted up the number of non-member fees that will
go to AERC this week.  Many of the riders don't have their own
trailers and hence haven't gotten to go to any other events. <soapbox
mode off>

I'm a strong proponent of the "mentor" concept, and think that we'd
increase our membership if we'd formalize this a bit.  Maybe have a
check box on the membership or inquiry form to be apprised of members
living in the prospective rider's area.  A lot of people probably
join after doing events as a non-member for years, but if our future
is in attracting more people to the sport, this would be a low cost
option.

Trail-Rite does it professionally, as do the Zontellis, many of us do
it for free.  I've gotten 3 other fellow boarders started.  It would
be nice to provide an option like Steph does on endurance.net, for a
newbie to have a local mentor that might be able to offer a trailer
ride, which would lead towards wanting to be a part of the
organization = membership.

Lynne
Ontario, CA
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/2/00