Standing for the Vet Exam (Safely)

In a message dated 9/11/99 5:18:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mmieske@netonecom.net writes:

<<   I just don't know how RMs
 could enforce this and still manage to continue having a ride or at least
 one that pays for itself.  Maybe I'm all wet (heck, I AM a newbie) but
 those are concerns I have. >>

You're right, probably impossible to enforce.  It would be nice, though if
people would just practice having their horse be examined BEFORE they get to
a ride.  I ride in a pretty populated State park in our area and when I was
first getting my 5 year old ready, I would ask people on the trail to give
him an impromptu vet exam.  Let me tell you, I got some strange looks!  One
lady said "Are you kidding?  I've got a horse phobia, no way am I touching
that thing!".  I kept looking for my next victim.  Got several really nice
people, some pretty timid ones too, to check his CR, pretend to listen to his
heart, run their hands over his body and even a couple of brave souls who
would pick up his feet.  Then I did a trot out for a few of these hardy
types.  People were really nice and only one person turned me down (the
phobic gal).  Most of them were interested in what endurance was and enjoyed
Star (he's kind of a touchy-feely guy anyway).  I still have people examine
him if they happen to stop by my trailer to chat -- you know, the kind who
ask "where did you rent him?".  I'm sure they all leave thinking I'm nuts,
but they seem to have fun too.  The bottom line is that your horse SHOULD
stand calmly and safely while the vet examines him and in most cases it takes
practice!  Just make sure your horse can't hurt the innocent people that you
ask to "vet" him.

Sylvia