Loose horses

Michele,

Had the same problem several years ago when some neighbors got into horses,
(and were totally clueless) and decided to BUY an Arab stud to breed their
daughter's mare too.

This "stallion", bought at an auction for $750.00....you know, a damn good
stud, ran in the feild with 3 geldings and the mare.  Right along side the
road.

One afternoon, after a 25 mile conditioning ride on my paint gelding, this
"stud" discovers part of the fence is down, and leaps a ditch to mount my
horse.

I was thrilled, of course, and promptly began smaking the crap outta him to
let him know I wasn't sharing the ride with anyone.

Sonny, the paint, was just as thrilled as I was, but luckily he was a little
tuckered out, or I would have really been in trouble!

I galloped down the barn driveway, praying someone would be there, yelling at
the top of my lungs, (at the stud, and for anyone) and finally one of the
kids comes out.  He managed to grab the horse, put him in a stall, and
promptly disappeared again.

I rode home, which was just across the street from the owners, and unsaddled.
 No damage done to my horse, or the saddle.

I called the owners, talked to the wife.  They all rode, the whole family.
But they didn't know a thing.

She couldn't figure out why I was so upset about her stallion mounting my
horse since I was unhurt, and so was my horse.  I asked her if she had
thought about what might have happened if it had been a young girl, bareback,
on her mare in heat, but that didn't click, she didn't get it.

Basically, I told her it was illegal for her to have that stallion in a
pasture bordering the road unless there was a damn good fence, AND hotwire.
I don't know if thats true or not, but it sure sounded good to me, and it
worked.  Later that evening, her hubby was stretching fencewire, and the
hotwire went up the next day.

So, you may want to try something like that, or just call around and find out
what the law is.  Most of the time there are laws on the books for this type
of thing, but you have to find them, then get the cops to enforce it.

In the meantime, I would avoid riding there, if you can. Sounds like a bad
accident waitng to happen.

Be safe, and Happy Trails!
Julie, Rayna, and Jynxie the Wonder Pony.