From: guest@endurance.net <guest@endurance.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Friday, September 10, 1999 2:34 PM
Subject: RC: Hot & Humid Weather

>Nancy Muller Farafix@aol.com
>A couple more comments.  One camper noted that usually a 20 min hold is
adequate for a 40 mile CTR, esp. as riders are going slower than in an
endurance ride.  A few yrs ago I rode the Old Dominion 50 when it was a
really hot & humid day (my pit crew was really complaining!).  I top tenned
that ride with a ride time of 8 hours, which is a speed of just over 6 mph,
just a little faster than a comptetitive trail ride pace.  We had 3 stops on
the 50, as well as really cold water to put on the horse both at the pit
stops and in the mountain streams we crossed.  In hot/humid weather on a
tough 40, one stop of 20 minutes doesn't seem like much, IMHO, especially
since in CTR you can't use ice water to cool off the horse.  In my limited
experience, it seems that if you can keep the horse cooled off, the horse
does better.  Sponging a hot horse on a humid day with lukewarm water
doesn't do much (which is often the situation at a CTR midpoint where the
water can't be cooled and often has been sitting out in buckets for the
riders to arrive).
>On conditioning in hot/humid weather.  I keep my horses on electrolytes ---
just throw the cheap stuff in a little feed every day, as well as have salt
blocks available during the summer.  I also always bring some water or
gatorade for myself, even tho I only ride for 2 hrs or less.  One time I
forgot my water & started to get disoriented on the way home (on trails I'd
ridden for yrs), so drank some stream water, hoping I wouldn't get E coli or
some other devastating thing.  Fortunately, the water got me reoriented & I
got home ok & suffered no gastric after affects.  So, don't forget to take
care of youself as well.