My first Multi-day Day 2

    Wow, 71/2 hours of sleep.  I feel great.  We are up at 5AM to feed and
massage again.  Both horses are eating well.  I bring PJ out to eat by
herself.  If she is left in with her 3 other buddies, someone will bump her
out of the way and eat her food.  Besides, now she can't get away from me as
I am rubbing her down. She spent a half-hour eating and getting her morning
massage.
    Nina and Tommy are riding 15 miles this morning so they don't have to get
up until later. I have the luxury of dressing and eating without having to
worry about anyone else. It is still warm and humid outside and it is
supposed to be as warm as it was yesterday.  I make sure to pack the
electrolytes and put one in my pack in case we need one the trail. We do the
same loops as the first day, 25 miles, 15 miles and then 10 miles. Char and I
have made the decision to saddle early and walk the horse for a half hour to
warm them up.  So at 6AM we saddle up.
    There are a 50 and a 100 mile ride today so we are hoping to hook up with
some 100 milers that are going our pace.  Time for the trot out for the vet.
PJ seems strong and sound this morning and Rae confirms that.  She is OKed
for day two.  Now the butterflies in my stomach can subside.
    We let the 50 milers roar out of camp and follow about a minute later.
Connie Caudill and Karleen Vivarito are trotting with us and say this is a
good pace for them. We are delighted for the company and Connie keeps up a
wonderful conversation for the next 2 hours.
    The sand is a little dryer and deeper today.  The first part of the
25-mile loop goes by quickly.  We get to the turn off and Sammy & PJ don't
slow down today.  They are challenged by the fresh horses and we trot along
at 9 miles per hour. Again we get to the top of the loop and stop for food.
Both horses are eating well.  They chow down for 5 minutes, take a pee break
and are ready to go. Connie & Karleen are about a minute in front of us.
Char had to take and extra minute to get her butt back in the saddle. But the
horses are not rushing to catch up.  They are keeping to their pace.
    After 20 minutes all four horses are trotting along together.  There seem
to be more and steeper hills on this loop but that doesn't slow and of the
horses down.  When we connect with the end of the 15-mile loop again, the
horses know they are heading for home. After a water stop, they canter the
next 2 miles.  They are so pumped they refuse water from the pit crews but
suck down a creek 5 minutes later.  We trot the next two miles into camp and
are rewarded by vetting through right away. The horses are ravenous now.
They are eating hay before, during & after the CRI. Gut sounds are better
then yesterday (B today and B- yesterday).  And best of all, PJ is still
sound!  We are off for our hour hold.  The 100 milers only have a 40 stop so
we won't be riding with them, darn.
    Both PJ and Sammy ate well at the stop.  I took the saddle off PJ and she
had a good roll, too.  The weather really seemed hotter and more humid than
it was the day before.  Char and I were dressed in our coolest clothes.  Most
of the ride took place under the cool trees.  Char's husband, Dick, did not
tell us until later that the temperature reached 95degrees that afternoon.
He was smart not to do that.
    PJ got her usually massage and a short warm up and we were ready for the
trot out.  I was looking around for Nina who was to finish her second 15-mile
ride but we were about 20 minutes faster today than yesterday thanks to the
100 milers. Off we go to Rae and she gives us the OK.
    I have done 100 milers and I have done 2 day 100 milers so I know this is
the toughest part to get through. The horses are really sluggish and add to
this the same trail and the heat they were less than enthusiastic out there.
I really don't remember much of this next loop.  When we came in I felt there
was a little hitch in PJ's gate and Rae confirmed this.  Not bad enough for a
pull but definitely there.  Sammy was his same steady self but Char was
really getting dehydrated.  She ate something at the last vet check that did
not agree with her and I thought she would lose her lunch on the trail.  We
really had some work to do at this check.
     Both horses chowed down and I went back to my massaging.  I was getting
really tired.  This was a horse that had never been off but she was smashed
in the trailer in July and the effects of that incident were really showing
up. Except today it wasn't the front end, it was the back end.  The Michigan
sand strikes again.  Char ate a bunch of tums  and drank water.  We were
ready to start the 10-mile loop but we were not going to set a record.  I was
still hoping to do one more day and I was still praying every mile that we
could do so.
    Nina was in and was very upset. Her horse had so much energy left that
she kicked out at Nina. I tried to explain to Nina that what makes a horse so
bad makes them so good on the trail.  Some day she might believe me. And
Tommy had not helped much on the trail as he went galloping by to see some of
his friends and forgot that the two horses are buddies and Nina's horse
wanted to follow. Well, we sent Tommy off to play in the crick and brought
Nina along to pit crew. (If you can't settle a discussion, best to keep them
apart).
    Off to Rae.  Char said trot for her so she could see PJ's gate.  It
looked good to her and Dr. Birr passed her also.
    Char's husband and Nina met us way more times on the trail than
yesterday.  We almost didn't realize it was so hot because we poured the
slosh jugs over us, too.  The horses were even cantering down the road at  95
miles. PJ had been in the lead for most of yesterday and today and she was
still mentally ready to go.  I only hoped she had this same get-up-and-go
tomorrow.
    Last check before out 16 hour hold.  We trotted out for our CRI.  Yep, I
saw something!  Today her CRI's had been good, same pulse or lower.  We
finished the day with A's and A-'s BUT her rear end was not working well
(darn that sand).  Rae said more massage!
    My day was not over.  I took care of PJ, cleaned up camp a bit.  Then I
had to load up 3 horses and Nina and drive them 1 hour to home.  I was
supposed to take Tommy, too, but he was no where to be found. So off we go.
I did cheat and take a quick shower at home before driving back and I put the
air conditioning on in the truck.  They said it was 90 degrees and it was
5:30!
    By the time I got back there wasn't much for potluck.  However, I was in
time to here that Nina got first place in her 15-mile ride. (Make mental note
to call her)
    Tonight I was really exhausted and I still had to work on PJ. She got a
massage 3 times and I had Tommy walk her once. (Well, if he was going to
stick around, he was going to work!) Those of you who do this and have
children around, I have great respect for you.  Energetic kids sure take
their toll on you. Tommy was trying to help but he was not allowing me to
relax.  It would be an early night, I hoped.
 One of my friends commented that I looked exhausted.  I hoped to get a good
night's sleep but that was not to be.  I was a worrywart again. I have done
several 2-day 100's and I usually toss & turn trying to work the cramps out
of this old body. And I am used to going home the next day.  Would we make
it?  Char, too, was feeling the strain. Were we nuts to try this at over 50
and almost 60?

    Its late so I will try and give you day 3 tomorrow.
Becke Grams
Michigan