Breeding theories (was *Muscat)

<<<In racing groups I have heard it said that the third foal a mare
produces =
is her best.  Hold your fire, this is just a few people's opinions, but =
often opinions feature a thread of truth.>>>

Actually it was more than opinion. A statistical survey done about 15
years ago showed that a Thoroughbred mare's third foal was likely to
have the highest earnings on the track. I don't have the complete order,
but I believe the 2nd, 4th and 5th foals were also high on the list.
First foals are often thought to be less desirable (at least in the
racing world), since the mare's uterine environment has not reached its
most commodious dimensions. Apparently the 3rd through 5th foals enjoy
optimal intrauterine comforts of space and nutrients.
Still, many first foals turn out to be champions as are many foals born
late in a mare's life. I've known many Arabian mares (and I'm sure
ridecampers can cite many more examples from their own herds) who
produced wonderful foals well into their twenties.

There is a theory that heart size is inherited via the female line,
which may account for the superior-producing ability of Secretariat
daughters.

Another TB rule-o-thumb is never to breed an old mare to an old stallion
-- but to make sure that at least one of the two is young. Anyone have
any experience with this one? Old-wives' tale or practical advice? I
understand that sperm quality does degenerate over the life of the
stallion, and the mare's eggs do get old as well, increasing the chance
of early embryonic loss.

Bobbie and the Bay Mares (maybe in foal)