From: guest@endurance.net <guest@endurance.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 9:15 AM
Subject: RC: Norco Riverdance - the finish story (long)

Wendy Merendini merendiniws@navair.navy.mil
I have had a few requests to relate my Norco Riverdance ride story (actually
I think it is the finish that most are interested in).  First I want to say
that Lynne did a great job managing this ride and Pat Peters did an awesome
job with the trail.  Even I could not get lost on this ride!

This was Flikka's first ride since the World Championships last December.  I
gave her some extended time off after the WEC, she had a tough year in 1998
and I believed she would benefit from some extended downtime.  It sure has
paid off; she is stronger and fitter than ever!   As with most 100 mile
horses and riders, 50 mile rides are used for training and toughening up of
both horse and rider, and that was my goal for the Riverdance ride.

It was so great to be riding my awesome Wonder Mare!  I had ridden Flikka's
sister, Fancy, on several rides earlier this year, however Fancy is just not
the horse that Flikka is on many levels.

I will not go into a blow by blow of my ride; I will pick up at the last
hold.  I had been riding all day with Larry and Renee Bowers.  At the last
hold their horses pulsed down one minute before Flikka.  I was not
concerned, as a one-minute lead is nothing to my long legged, ground
covering Wonder Mare!  When we were released Flikka took off, she knew they
were up there and by George she was going to catch them!  Well, no surprise
we caught up with Larry and Renee in fairly short order.  When the trail
opened up some and was not so twisty and turny I leaned over Flikka's neck
and whispered "Go Baby Go!" and she slid into another gear and left the
other two behind.

Now Flikka and I are flying down the trail, we make it thought the gate into
the day use area, wind though a few trees and come up to "T" in the road.
Now this mare is in a wide open, full tilt gallop, the correct turn is to
the right, but Flikka sees horses to the left and chooses to go left and I
am definitely committed to the right.  Well, my vaunted "Velcro butt" did
not engage this time and off I went over Flikka's shoulder.  Smack on my
head, smash on to my back and then up on my feet running to get Flikka (who
stopped what a good girl!) I climbed back on my horse, shaky but determined.
Before my hindquarters hit the saddle Flikka was off again, boy howdy my
girl was not going to let those other horses catch her!  And they didn't!!
We flew across the line in First Place!!

And to top off a great day – Flikka received Best Condition!  What a Horse!

Thanks again to Pat and her wonderful crew of trail folks, they did a great
job!  And they were fun, friendly faces to see on the trail.  Lynne, this
was a fun ride.  I enjoyed the Arundo tunnels and the water crossings were
fun.

Wendy Merendini &
Fire Mt. Flikka

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net,
http://www.endurance.net.