Proudflesh and wound care

Hello ridecampers,

I haven't been reading posts lately, and I apologize for neglecting everyone.
 Summer is busy!!!!
But for some reason I read the last posting....ESP perhaps?  As it relates to
a situation I am part of right now.

August 8 a freind hauled up to my place to ride, and his horse (to make a
long story short) suffered a classic trailer laceration.

Her rear left leg slipped under the trailer and she scarfed everything off
down to and including the bone.  The wound is/was about 6 inches long, inch
and a half wide.

We wrapped her tight, packed it in ice and waited for the vet.  She cleaned
it, which didn't take much doing, and we opted for the collegen/wrap
treatment rather than stitches as this particular mare, (Paso/Arab) is a
maniac in a stall, but fine in the pasture.

Put her on trimeth/sulpha for ten days, left the wrap on for 7.  At the first
rewrap, the wound looked good.  A couple days later I could tell proudflesh
was starting to develope, so we had the vet out again, (and I was gone) to
get some ointment ( I'll post the name later) to stop the proudflesh, and see
if she thought the mare was progressing as well as we thought.

Bad news. There was a spot of infection at the bottom of the wound which was
missed during the initial treatment, and the infection had spred to the bone,
blackening it.

Back on trimeth/sulfa.  Prognosis not great. (This is an endurance horse)

Good news... After she was on the meds for about a week again, we opened up
the wound (where the tissue has not yet sealed over the bone) and the bone
was white and shiney, looked great!  There is now NO evidence of proudflesh,
and the swelling is minimal, even when we unwrap to clean, and redress.

The mare has never been lame, and has been in excellent spirits, even when we
bring her into "The Barn Of Pain" as we call it. <g>

So, what's the problem?

Well, we have tentatively decided to have x-rays done of the leg, and get a
second opinion from Mike Foss DVM about whether this mare will be fit to
continue sometime in the future.  And when Alan can start riding her, which
of course won't be until sometime after the wound has closed.

Anyone have experience with a wound like this?

Should we be overly concerned with the fact that she had a bone infection,
though she has never been lame, and is healing beautifully at this point?

Any advice will be gladly accepted.  I'll forward replys to Alan, and get him
subscribed asap, he'll enjoy all you guys.

Just for the record, all my beasties are doing fine, and I am looking forward
to doing another ride on Sept. 25th.  A 50.  I('ll let you know the gory
details, if there are any of note!

Julie, Rayna, and Jynxie the Wonder Pony