Re: Hot weather syndrome

John and Sue -

It would be interesting to know the following about the riders of the horses
at the CTR with problems:

1.  Did the rider do conditioning work with their horses leading up to the
ride?  Did they pull them out of pasture and expect to ride?
2.  Did the rider sponge and use other measures to help their horses with
the heat?
3.  Were the riders knowledgeable enough to know their horse was in trouble?

At the CTR I just rode at 4 horses were pulled.  One with colic, one whose
PR never came down, and I'm not sure about the other two.  However, the
advise I got at the ride was totally different from the advise I get on
Ridecamp.  For example, don't put cold water on your horses muscles on the
back legs, he'll cramp up (this from an endurance rider).  I have a feeling
there's a widening learning gap between those of us connected with
technology and those without.  I wonder how many of the problems at CTR
rides are related to folks not knowing what to expect and not knowing how to
tell if they are pushing to hard on their horse.  I'd be interested to hear
your opinion on the riders that had the severe problems.

One way to remedy this would be for CTR groups to have outreach rides in the
spring where novices can go to shorter rides, and you learn how to take care
of your horse, how to check your saddle fit, how to *ride* your horse in
tough terrain, how to check your  p/r, conditioning work, shoeing, sponging,
feeding, etc.  Currently there is no good channel for spreading this info in
a cohesive format that new people can really benefit from (other than us
asking silly questions in ridecamp - hardly cohesive).  A lot of novices at
the ride I was at were left asking "how" to do things right.