Heart Monitors

I have been watching the e-mail about  the heart monitors with interest.
There are points to be made for both sides however I would like to share
what The Ontario Competetive Trail Riding Association has found out.
Last year we decided to try the "Wand " style monitor on our rides, both
competetive and endurance. Some members had concerns, so after the
first  ride, a ride manager had the pulse taken by both the wand and the
stethescope. The results had the readings at 95 % accurate rate,
approximately 80 horses were tested.  We now use the wands at almost all
rides. This makes   for faster pulse taking, and that means less P & R
people  are required. A lot of people cannot use stethescopes but they
can use the wand. Our vets still use the steth. to check the horses and
they can pick up any problems where a lot of P & R people would not
recognize them . If a horse does not meet the perameters  we  still like
the vets to check the horse to double check the readings and ensure
there is not some other problem. The safety of the horse is the most
important reason  for all checks.
I  have been scoring the rides for  about 7 years (competetive only) and
have found that with the wands , the P & R scores are far more
consistant and believable that those scored when only the stethescopes
were used. Yes , the equipment is only as good as the people using it,
but the wands appear to do a better job in the hands of most people..
With the wands you have only to read, not count and multiply, along with
knowing what a heart beat really  is. I think the use of the wands
improve our sport. They make the work for the P & R people easier and
their results more accurate. A great many of you riders use monitors
during your training and on rides, why not make use of them for the
workers. Remember without workers there would be no rides. This is just
my opinion but I do believe the wands are great. Just my 2 cents worth.

 Larry McMaster (a non rider, but a dedicated worker married to a
dedicated rider )

Hi Ridecampers,
As a rider, I feel that the moniters do give a more accurate pulse than
many people using stethescopes.  I often take my horse's pulse with my
finger on the artery under the jaw, while he is having his pulse taken,
and sometimes there is quite a difference.   One of the things I like
about the moniters is that it does not take as long.  If the P/R tech
has a hard time finding the pulse, my guy starts to fidget, kick at
flies, look for food or looks to see what Larry is doing - all affect
his pulse!