Re: RC: Stocking Up Questions

In a message dated 9/4/99 9:17:45 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
splash@dakotacom.net writes:

<< I just had my first run-in with stocking up (guess I've been lucky eh?).  I
 searched the archives and got some information, but I'm wondering if anyone
 has some concrete recommendations about both prevention and treatment. >>

Kirsten;

My experience with stocking up has been that is caused by restricted movement
after an exercise period.  Even with proper cooling out, if the horse has
limited area to move around in, then stocking up can occur.  It would be
ideal if the horse had a large turnout all the time or to follow all hard
workouts with some light exercise the day after.  You saw when you rode after
the horse stocked up that it went down?  You are improving the circulation so
the fluid can be pushed out of the tissues.  I was told that stocking up is
always worst (or only) present in the hind legs as they are furthest from the
heart and circulation is more compromised.

So, until you have larger area to keep the horse then follow all hard
exercise with turnout the next day or light exercise.  Because I learned to
always give the horse a day off after hard exercise (never two hard days back
to back when first conditioning; the day off is when the horse rests and
repairs the stress of the hard exercise), I didn't do as I described and had
a horse that always stocked up.  Once I went to light hand walking or very
mild lunging on rest days the stocking up went away.  Good luck with your
conditioning and be careful in the sand!

Melanie in AZ