Dressage basics--was Re: Hi

>If she's heavy on the forehand and slamming into the ground, then (oh, I
hate to
>introduce this word <bg>) basic "dressage" schooling will definitely help

Why do you hate to introduce that word?  We need to *spread* the word to
every horseman everywhere that ALL horses should be trained in classical
dressage basics...no matter what discipline they may get involved in!!

The word "dressage" comes from the French word that means "to train".  The
"classical basics" are the tried and true methods that have upheld over the
centuries as the best method of training horses on the ground and in the
saddle...with the results being a horse that has developed the use of his
body in a slow, correct, methodical way, void of the common gaps in their
training that can lead to future unsoundness or rebellion.  In the process
you also get a horse with a much calmer, more secure mind...AND -- for the
rider who is also learning the "classical basics" -- you get a balanced
seat, the knowledge of how to use their body to influence the movements and
carriage of the horse, and a calm, quiet, steady, consistent communication
with the horse.

This is not a particularly popular method with bad "cowboy" trainers since
it doesn't give them a "trained horse" in a couple of months!  However,
what *they* are calling a "trained" horse is one that is merely "broke to
ride" but doesn't have a clue how to bend, use his back, use his muscles
correctly, or have self carriage with the engine in the rear...and doesn't
have the confidence and security of a well schooled horse.  This all takes
a long time (years!) and can be done on a trail as well as in an arena.
Imagine just learning to do a somersault and finding out that you're going
to be expected to do, the next month, a double back flip for a competition.
 Even tho you may give it your best shot, physically and mentally you're
not prepared...and you are far more likely to end up injured (possibly
permanently) and totally mentally frustrated wanting to never see the
inside of that gymnasium again!!

Lauren wrote (in her post on the Norco Riverdance Ride):
>Speaking of "manners", I was talking to one of the vets about horse
>manners and horsemanship. I remarked that so many horses seemed to have
>no manners at all. I was watching the vetting in on Friday and was
>amazed at how many horses lacked basic manners and respect for people.

Proper schooling in dressage basics also teaches the horse how to behave on
the ground...and how to listen and respect the handler's requests and their
space.  It also teaches them to wait for instruction and to continue to do
what they're told until instructed otherwise.  I've seen sooooo many horses
with gargantuan gaps in their training who are being handled and ridden by
people who have the best intentions...but who are carefully and ignorantly
following the bad advice of professed knowledgeable horsemen.

Basically, dressage should be the foundation for every horse's training --
EVEN the backyard horse who's owner has zero aspiration for any kind of
competition but just wants to do an occasional trail ride.  However, it's
*especially* important when the discipline chosen for the horse is going to
be one that is very physically demanding for a number of years!  This
knowledge, and the glaring evidence of it's absence outside of the show
arenas (primarily because of ignorance on the rider's part), is what made
me decide to concentrate my instructing in this area...and also to "spread
the word" of the importance of dressage basics -- not that I'll make a HUGE
dent in the horse world, but hopefully I can help a few in my little corner
of the world.  Dressage basics should be every horse's "birth right"! ;-)

Stepping off of my soapbox now...<g>

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm