Norco Riverdance--the Photo Shoot

>>>....Bobbie Lieberman for her extreme efforts on the photography (she
can tell her own story!)>>>>

Well, that would be me, so here goes...;-)
After weeks of dithering over whether to ride or shoot Norco, Lynne
finally persuaded me to bring the camera and leave little April at home.
To digress for a moment, since I arrived from MD/VA in early July, I've
had the privilege of riding a wonderful bay mare named Baskabeauty
("April"), bred and raised by Kathy Klein of Orange. Kathy rides a big,
fast gelding named Redan JDW. We've been training together on Kathy's
stomping grounds in the hills above Orange Park Acres (Barham Ranch,
etc.). I've been learning about heat, rattlesnakes, dust, cruppers,
hard-packed trails, heat, dust.... and I just learned that tarantula
mating season is about to begin.
So Kathy brought Dan, and April stayed home.
My plan was to hike to the top of the "hill" just before the first vet
check at 12 miles. The 50-milers started at 6 a.m. so I hustled out
there just after the start. Loaded up the camera bag, some drinks and a
lightweight chair and started the 1 1/2-mile trek up hill. It was, well,
straight up. I saw two point riders up along the ridge, where I was
headed. They looked like toy plastic horses. One step at a time, I said
to myself. Heck, I hiked up to the top of Masada in Israel some years
ago (above the Dead Sea) and said, this can't be any worse! I trudged
on, watching for the cross and a big rock at the top of the hill. (There
really was a cross.) Those Denise Austin workouts were really beginning
to pay off.
Just before I reached the summit, the first horses came blazing by. I
started shooting, but it was DARK and my camera was not happy...it
wanted faster film. I thought that the sun would be coming up soon. But
this turned out to be a gray, darkish day -- all morning, the temp hung
at 63 degrees. Chilly!
I finally found a good perch on a big slab rock at the top of the hill
and settled in to shoot the rest of the fifties with the 25s coming
right along. Two of Lynne's volunteer point riders (one was David
Wicketts of Norco; I didn't get the name of his buddy, but he was riding
a big Appy named Mordy) were stationed right by the rock. Over the next
two hours, we traded a lot of laughs and they got their photos taken,
too. These guys were really entertaining -- it was kind of like having a
satellite dish at the top of the mountain.
Given the darkish conditions, I decided to try to catch the frontrunners
again -- perhaps as they were coming into the lunch check. Hahahaha --
they were flying, and I was lucky to catch them as they were coming into
the FINISH. I zoomed back into camp, then hiked out onto the sandy
trails toward the famous bamboo tunnels. Past wetlands with snowy
egrets, past local pleasure riders and mounted ride volunteers....I
finally came to a good spot and got ready to shoot. While I was waiting,
a critter approached within about 30 feet and held his ground. It looked
like a very skinny Red Heeler, and I soon learned that it was a coyote.
I knew the leaders would be flying and sure enough, a few minutes after
11:30 a.m, here they came -- Wendy and Flikka out in front in a rolling
gallop, big smiles on their faces, with the Bowers in hot pursuit. I
didn't know at the time the drama that had unfolded just before -- Wendy
will have to tell _that_ story.
It was nearly 20 minutes before the next two horses came, then another
gap. I held on for a few more shots, hoping my friend Kathy and Dan
would be coming through, and they didn't disappoint me. They trotted on
by, looking great, on their way to a 7th place finish and 3rd IAHA purebred.
A funny thing happened while I was out there...it got HOT. The walk back
seemed a lot further, but I finally made it with eight rolls to develop
by dinner. That's when the fun really began. My truck choked. Stalled.
Coughed. Groaned. Said I don't wanna go to town to the one-hour photo.
Lynne dispatched a pair of volunteers (sorry I'm bad at names -- they
are from Torrance and drove a Suburban) and they raced me off to Corona
to drop the film.
When the pix were ready, my truck still wasn't. Truck-lovin' guys had
been peering under the hood, offering all sorts of ideas. "Shoulda got a
Ford," was one of them. I had a theory that my truck had gotten a batch
of "bad gasoline" but feared driving it since it was stalling out every
30 seconds or so. This time, Ken Herrera ran interference while I
followed into town, hoping to find a Dodge dealer open in Norco (they
were closed). We picked up the film and on the way back to camp I
stopped to fill the tank with the best premium gas in town. Viola! (old
joke spelling--original typo in EQUUS) Problem solved, or at least
greatly alleviated.
Dinner was already being served when we got back to camp. With the help
of a very nice man who had finished the 25 and was patiently waiting to
see his photo, we put out the pix on tables in the Nature Center. Each
rider was to receive a complimentary photo -- yet another of Lynne's
generous ride treats. I don't believe that everyone made it in to fetch
their photos, cause I brought a lot of them home. Lynne will be posting
some on her web site.
If anyone didn't get their photo and would like one, contact me or Lynne
since we probably have it. I'll be at Manzanita and can bring them
along. April, too!
Bobbie and the Bay Mares

Okay Barb, let's hear your story of the Retired Partners ride!!