Norco Riverdance

Well, we are STILL washing the dirt out of several bodily orifaces - but
isn't that the FUN?? This was such a terrific ride that we - all 3 of us -
felt a little left out since we had a junior who had to do 25 since she rode
with my husband Gary (who turned 60 on Saturday - thanks Lynne for the
beautiful cake!) on our stallion Salazar, who shouldn't have been there in
the first place. Sal had a bout of endocarditis in December 1997 and was not
expected to do much other than stand around the barn - after a battery of
vets decided he would survive! Since he still has a murmur related to that
bacterial infection, it was really unclear as to how he would handle the hype
of the ride. Well, he handled it and was truly and thoroughly enjoying the
ride - but hit a rock trotting out at the first vet check and was pulled.
Not to worry though - he was sound by the time he stepped off the trailer
back at camp, though a little distressed that he didn't get to continue. But
he didn't drop of a heart attack! YEAH!

Many thanks to Carol Miller who kindly hauled a mare out for us so that our
old mare Harlot could participate in the Retirement Ride. The old girl
(Harlot!) LOVED that short 5 miler and thought she was young and fast again.
I could hardly hold her back, let alone stop her at the finish! It is harrd
for ME too, since the memories I have with this precious mare are sharp but
getting to be fewer as she ages. Thanks, Carol, for one more to treasure!

This ride was beautifully run - must be Terry rubbing off?? Lynne, you did a
tremendous job and BOY was that dinner super!

A few words were said about horse management and the human factor in it -
this is not isolated to any one ride or venue. One person who just let their
horse shove its face RIGHT into our stallion's face commented "well I didn't
KNOW he was a STALLION" as if it would be okay if it were a mare or gelding.
I hope I am not the first to tell you that allowing your horse to shove his
or her face into ANY other horse's face is, well, just plain dangerous and
RUDE. We don't allow any of our horses to do that, since an "in your face"
meeting with a strange horse is likely to end up in striking, squealing and
kicking - other horses or perhaps a P & R person, as happened years ago at a
ride where some dumb cluck allowed his stallion to nip ours in the butt
whilst being pulsed.  I don't think it can be said too often - too bad it has
to be said at all - keep one's horse's posterior and anterior sections AWAY
from other horses, regardless of gender. close quarters are one thing - in
your face or butt to  butt meetings simply because someone is not being
careful is inexcusable. The 2 "C" - common sense and courtesy - oh and also
in regards to the dogs - 2 were just romping all over the place all weekend.
Tie them up or leave 'em home. Period. i don't bring our and I DON'T want to
have to step around - or in - the droppings of anyone else's.

Well, the vets were cheerful, efficient and most competent - I loved that,
especially with a cardiac patient on trail! Lynne, the only thing  you did
wrong was not to have the Retirees drop 5 bucks in a hat for those costs - I
would have been happy to  - just to ride the old girl again.

All in all, a wonderful ride. Harlot wants to know if she gets to "retire"
again NEXT year. I finally broke the news to her. She cried.
san