Re: RC: Norco Riverdance Ride

What a fantastic Ride and Lynne even out did herself compared to last
year, which was a super ride. Unfortunately I didn't get to ride (except
the Retired Partners Ride) but I did help out at Vet Check #1 and #2.

The Awards were Top Notch and I'm sure Wendy Merendini can vouch for
that!! She walked away with 1st 50 miler, BC, Top Ten, and two IAHA
awards. These were not coffee cup category awards; these were
monogrammed tote bags, rolling bale bags and a TRA-LOR tie system that
attaches to the trailer! Did she have room to take everything home? ;-)
If your a competitive rider this ride is worth the trip.

I had a fun time doing P&R's and I'll never forget the sight of Larry
Bowers horse, Elijah Z, trotting down a long, steep hill, with Larry's
arms folded across his chest, reins long and loose and the horse in
perfect form and balance making good time coming down a steep hill. I
hope someday to have a horse that can look that balanced going downhill.

At one vet check a horse cow kicked a P&R'er and got him in the knee.
Cheri Briscoe just got missed being nailed by the same horse minutes
before. This particular horse seemed to be so scared of people and
especially of his rider. He was a rough "cowboy" type and I saw him
treating his horse very nasty.

Speaking of "manners", I was talking to one of the vets about horse
manners and horsemanship. I remarked that so many horses seemed to have
no manners at all. I was watching the vetting in on Friday and was
amazed at how many horses lacked basic manners and respect for people.
These horses were running in circles when trying to hear heart rates,
walking into people, not standing still and pulling on the lead ropes.
Granted, most of the horses were "excited" at just pulling into camp,
but that was no excuse for the bad horse manners. This vet mentioned
that he feels that horsemanship and horses manners have taken a dive in
endurance riding. He praised the virtues of  NATRAC  competitions where
horsemanship and horse manners are valued. And I have to agree with him.
Just my observation.

Thanks Lynne (and Julie, Barb, Pat) for a Wonderful Ride.

Lauren