---- Begin included message ----
From: "Pat Garland" <cosyland@comnet.ca>

Now that I am able to talk or write about this without balling my eyes out, I thought
by me sending this I could hopefully avoid someone from having this happen to them and their horses.
About six weeks ago, one of the stallions (Star) standing here was electricuted.
Of course this happened when I had slipped into town to do some shopping.
When I arrived home and pulled into the laneway, I had this gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach that something was wrong. I noticed Star was standing awkwardly
and when I called him, he did not respond. As I walked toward him, I noticed he
was soaking wet with water running off his body and was vibrating. I started to shake and to my horror I noticed he had the electric wire all tangled in his tail
and around his legs. I ran for wire cutters (which I keep nearby) and as I ran by
the water I realized that the broken wire was immersed inside. I ran to unplug the
fencer came back to Star and immediately starting cutting the wire off his legs
and with so much of it in his tail, I just cut about 12 inches of his tail off. I ran to
get my husband who was haying at the time and we together got him into a foaling stall were we starting trying to calm him, towel him etc. I immediately gave him
a shot of an anti -inflamatory which probably saved his life. His owner Mary and I cried for days.
To make a very long story short, move your water troughs guys away from
electric fencing. Star probably was using his tail to get rid of flies, it got caught somehow and shocked him and then he probably kicked and caught his leg in the wire.Our fencer is a very powerful one because we wanted everything
safe. Yea Right !
Star is not out of the woods yet, by a long shot and the vet says it may take a lot
of time or we may just never see the old Star again. THere is swelling around the
brain and he does not want us touching him in the head. It was amazing to see all the other horses. The other stallions in the barn were all so sad along with mares. Normally the stallions give eachother those kind of dirty looks, but not this day. They too were I think feeling his pain.
Somedays I think he is getting better and other days I think he is not. We are trying everything to make him happy and comfortable including TTouch. THis horse has achieved so much, been everywhere with me and taught me immensly. I hope I can give back to him, what he gave to me.
Please move your water away from your electric wire!!.
Thanks to everyone on this list who sent him cookies and get wells. It really helped to get us through some of this.
Pat -         Thought I could do this without balling - guess not.

[Attachments have been removed from this message]

ATTN. PET LOVERS! Get a NextCard Visa and ONElist & NextCard will donate
$20 to Canine Companions. NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 FIXED APR.
Make a difference for disabled individuals; make a difference for yourself!

---- End included message ----