From: Jan E Mitchell <k9quarters@earthlink.net>
To: pamelajo@gateway.net <pamelajo@gateway.net>

Date: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 12:08 PM
Subject: sodium iodide

Dear Pam,

Do you know anyone who could help us find more sodium iodide?  We sent a
case of 12 bottles to Ethiopia and we got back a letter saying it had cured
at least 9 horses of lyphangitis, a disease which is in epidemic proportions
right now.  Almost 600 working horses are infected in the one town we are
in.  The two other villages we are starting our program in are also
inundated with the disease.  It is passed on by the flies for the most part
but also lives in the lakes where the horses drink.  Our water stations will
hopefully keep the people from using other watering holes.  Lymphangitis
attacks the lymph system and causes open sores on the skin.  The sores are
raw and blistery.  The animals are in constant pain, tired and still being
worked.  The saddelry rubs against these open wounds and we end up trying to
cover up the pain by applying ointments and soft fleece pads which we send
to them. We need the sodium iodide to get rid of the disease.  If you know
of anyone who might donate it to us or let us buy it cheaply, it would be
great.  (It would be most helpful if those who can donate will also ship.)
We really appreciate the help. Thanks again,

Jan and Mindy