: RC: No horses on more than 20% grade

Kandhy, this is the sort of thing that makes me shake my head and wonder
that agencies have so much time on their hands that they have to start
worrying about stuff like this.  However, I'll try to restrain myself.
    First off, I think everyone realizes that 20 percent is not 20
degrees and actually is a very mild slope.  A 45 degree slope is a 100%
slope, because for every foot you go forward you rise one foot.   So, a
20% slope is rising one foot every five feet forward, which is around 11
or 12 degrees (if the trigonometry is correct!).
     I've watched my horses come down my hillside pasture, which for sure
has a 100% slope (and is managed against  erosion) and they prefer to
track back and forth so that they do not go straight up and down but
instead keep to a path that will efficiently and comfortably get them
down to their meals.    This well-defined path is certainly higher than
the 20% mark.   My youngster  "bombs" down for his food.   My 21-year old
comes down more sedately  but pretty quickly  and without delay!
    Years ago the railroad builders had a "6% grade" rule, as the maximum
slope the steam locomotives could handle when pulling a payload.
Fortunately we've progressed beyond  those limitations.  If the 20% rule
were applied to recreational trails here in Marin County, just north of
the Golden Gate Bridge,  we wouldn't be able to go anywhere!   We'd be
limited to going round and round in rings or riding along the shoulder of
roads.   In my 25 years of activism for  horses on trails in Marin, the
percent of slope has NEVER been mentioned as an issue for restricting
horses, and that's in ALL agencies and jurisdictions.
      The western USA would never have been settled if the pioneers had
quit at  20%  slopes.   The  1860  Pony Express went over the routes of
already-established stage lines, and anyone who has ridden the XP knows
just how incredibly difficult and steep some of those mountain passes
those are.    Yet  back then as now,  the horses  handle these slopes,
both going up and coming down, and just keep on going in a splendidly
matter-of-fact way.   How about Boulder Mountain on the Outlaw Trail,  a
yearly event??   Try the 20% rule on parts of  the Tevis!!!
     An old cowboy once told me " A horse can climb any slope that a man
can climb without going on his hands and knees."    Well, we needn't have
recreational trails that steep; we build switchbacks instead.
    I'd really like to know exactly who, and what issues,  brought this
20% discussion up?   Erosion concerns can be addressed by well-placed
water bars, and there are many designs for those.     Concerns about
horses'  health,  physical abilities and/or limitations on 20% slopes are
a non-starter in my view, and I  hope that  vets and other experts on
Ridecamp will speak to that.
    I wish you success,  I hope this helps, because this "virus of a 20%
issue" has got to be stopped before it goes any further.   Regards,
Connie B.  (CA)

>From: Kandhy Franklin <kfrankli@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>

>Subject: RC:  No horses on more than 20% grade
>
>In a Calif preserve owned by the Ca Fish and Game, horses are being
>taken off trails that are more than
>20% grade.  Is there someone out there that has some information that
>either supports this or talks about the strength of the horse's
>pulling power or going down a hill?  I have a meeting on this question
in
>front of a citizen's advisory group in the month of September.  This
>particular question is regarding specifically Mission Trails Park in
>Santee Calif.
>If this could be discussed for all to read, then I think we all should
>benefit.
>Thanks
>Kandhy Franklin-Collins
>Sec. San Diego County Trails Council

Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use --
Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web!
Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh.