Tendons and Fireworks

How Fast it can happen!

Blue was sound before we loaded up for Fireworks.
He was sound when we unloaded him from the trailer.
He was sound on a slow 45 minute walk / trot warm
up ride and tack check (good thing too since I'd
packed Magnum's 54" girth by mistake).  I brushed
him down and stood in the vet line for 20 minutes.
Everything was great... all A's.  Hydration, muscle
tone, membranes, etc.  Only thing was his pulse was
high at 52.  The vet must have thought I was a looney
when I trotted out a horse dead off on the right rear.
She had her assistant trot him for me... my jaw was
in the weeds... When did THAT happen???  It was so
obvious.  Hey, I thought I retired Magnum so I didn't
have this happen again.  ;-)

Fireworks did a great job, but the field was rutted
with old dried mud ruts hidden under dried grass.
Some how Blue twisted his right rear fetlock in
the field or on the trail.  They sent my entry fee
back though... thanks.  It will make a dent in my
first vet bill.

There was heat and swelling in the right rear suspensory.
He's been penned up ever since.  He's still got rear shoes
on because I think he needs his feet under him more now
than ever.

Treatment:
Ice.  Real ice, not cold packs, 45 minutes twice a day
for 5 days.  1.5 Bute twice a day for 3 days, then 1
bute twice a day for 10 days.  2 Naquazone the first
day, then 1 a day for the next 3 days.  Goal:  get rid
of the swelling and keep it gone.

He's getting an ultrasound next week.  Then I'll find
out what our recovery schedule will be.  I'm hoping
there's not a tear in there.. that the tendon was
just stretched and needs time to return to it's normal
length / elasticity.  This will take time to heal
properly... we'll be off for a while.  He's in a small
pen 20 x 40 so he can't get any speed up or run in
circles.

I've seen horses with sore tendons trot sound... even
with a bit of swelling.  I think these horses should
be treated like an injury since that's probably what's
going on.

My husband, bless his little heart, said "Honey, maybe
you need 3 horses..."  Nope!  Not doing that.  I can
have 1 lame horse, or two lame horses, or 3...  :)

Blue is now sound again and there's no swelling.  There
are people at the ranch who can't understand why I'm
leaving him penned up and I'm not riding him.  I'd rather
give this time to heal properly now.  I'd rather find out
what's wrong in there so we also have an idea of when it's
healed.

There is a silver lining... I FINALLY hung my saddle racks
properly.  My tack room hasn't looked so good.  I'll oil
and care for my saddles and ariats just as soon as I get
my grain box refinished.  My breeches and ranch jacket
finally made into a washer.  See y'all next year.

Kat Myers
in No. Cal. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maajistic... "Hey, I'm a race horse too..."