From: Rick Forrester [mailto:rwforest@eoni.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 2:06 PM
To: gabbani@starnet.com.eg; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: homemade electrolite mix

from Mary in Oregon, Lew Hollander's book Endurance Riding from Beginning to Winning has a recipe for homemade electrolites. He is a physicist, endurance rider (AERC Hall of Fame) who analyzed the commercial mixes and came up with his own for a lot less money. Here it is:    16 oz. table salt, 22 oz Morton Lite Salt, 1 oz. magnesium salts, (that's Epsom Salts). About 2 teaspoonfulls is a dose. Lew feeds this in the horse's feed for 2 or 3 days before a ride, and uses a syringe during and after the ride.   His book is out in paperback, available from Green Mansions Inc., PO Box 100, Redmond, Or. 97756. Price on 2nd edition was $13.95 plus 1.50 shipping US and Canada. I think the 3rd edition may be out by now and I'm sure it would include pictures of he and Hanne's induction into the AERC Hall of Fame. Maybe someone has an email address for Green Mansions so you can get current info if you are interested in the book.