RC: changing diagonals

Hi Liz,

I've found this diagonal problem with horses which are not yet completely
developed for endurance work.  The key is to change your diagonal as
needed.  If you give in to his reluctance, you will only be developing one
side of you horse.  So be persistant to keep using that left diagonal
whether training or in competition.  (Your competitions should also be
considered training at this point in the game).  Also, make sure you are
using the appropriate diagonal for the terrain.

Be aware if the horse is a little off thus causing the reluctance.  If that
is the case, you need to give your mount some rehab time/effort on the sore
limb.

Another possible cause for the relutance is sore back from saddle fit.  RC
archives can help you there.

OR, it could be your equitation causing the switch.  OR, you, as rider,
could have a pelvic or spinal misalignment which causes the horse to be
unevenly developed.

I've experienced all of the above reasons.  Sometimes it is hard to tell
which is the root of the problem.  It could take some analysis on your
part.

Remember, it takes 3 years to develop all the structures for an endurance
horse.  So, be patient.

Good Luck,
Linda Van Ceylon, Mountain Region

**Liz Ladd Skiparound@aol.com, wrote--------------------
My 15 year old Appendix Quarter Horse completed his (and my) first ride 11
months ago so we are new to the sport. Prior t=
o endurance riding we showed over low (3 ft.) fences in Hunter classes.
Recently, during extended trots, he will break i=
nto a slow canter in order to switch me from his left diagonal to the
right. He is sound, takes either lead at the canter=
 so this disturbes me.  Should I trot more on the left diagonal during
training to build him up?  During a race I will mo=
st likely stay on the right diagonal or maintain a half seat position so we
don't "fuss" at each other. Any thoughts or s=
ugestions out there?