Automatic Transmissions

A person sure could be confused by reading ridecamp and accepting what folks
say.  We tend to believe what we read
but at this site, I would be suspect.

Buy a Pick-up truck that can handle tongue weight (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton).

Select an engine that can haul your weight - loaded, water and all!

At this point an automatic transmission in a 1997 truck or newer will do the
job under all circumstances.
As to Automatic Transmissions:
Chevrolet has had less problems than Ford or Chrysler.   Ford and Chrysler
have higher rated (for hauling) diesel engines at this time.

Trailer Manufacturers generally have a latitude in telling you their trailer
weight and print unrealistic low weight numbers.  What they print can be
between 10 and 15% lower than the real numbers.

So now you have your pickup truck and trailer loaded with everything,
including water, food and all of your other "stuff"
pull into a Cat Scale at a truck stop and ask for the full weight, not just
the trailer, and it will cost you maybe $10.

You can improve your present set-up with the following:

    1.  K & N Air filter
    2.  A better exhaust system (specially designed for this
purpose)
    3. A new chip or computer, that is specifically designed for
towing

At this point you should learn to drive the "power curve" on your tachometer.
 That is the point where your engine torque is the highest.  In my Chevrolet
Diesel, it is 1800 rpm, and on level ground that is 55mph.   On a 6% grade at
full load, I drop down from overdrive to 3rd in Automatic and drive at
1800rpm, which might have me driving at 35mph.  I drive the curve, not the
speed,
If my engine temperature begins to rise and does not come down, I slow down
and go into 2nd in Automatic.  That's called driving the power curve.  If you
are really into this, you can get an accessory that reads exhaust
temperature, and will assist in not overheating.

Let's face it, it's not any more complicated that riding your horse with a
monitor.  you ride the curve that you have developed that allows your horse
to recover quickly.

PS>  Dear Sueandavid:

you see, the more weight on the unit, the slower you have to go or the unit
breaks down, its that simple!