Tevis 1999- The All Alone Ride (part 3 of 3)

Nick Warhol nick@moai.com
continued...

Then the magic returns.   This horse turns on the jets and just starts
trotting down the trail; solid, fast, totally relaxed, totally in control,
just like riding a machine.   There are no horses, anywhere.  The time goes
by too fast through this wonderful section as we just sail along.  I am
about 90 minutes faster this year at this point than last year so I get to
see a lot more of this trail for the first time.   It's still a little light
as I begin the drop down to the river.   We did pass a woman leading a horse
to Francisco's that she was going to pull, but that was it.  Just him and
me, trotting along through the dark, just loving every step.  He knows where
he's going- I'm just along for the fun.  We start down the nasty section of
tail that I was worrying about the night before that drops down to the
river.  I just shook my head- he was on auto pilot.  We then heard some
voices as we caught up to two riders.   I rode with them down the last part
of the single track at a fast pace that brought us past a group of 5 horses
that were walking.  I rode with the two into Francisco's and the next to
last vet check.   The ride workers once again took over and did everything
for me- what a treat.   Warpaint recovered quickly again, but was a little
inverted this time.  I waited around for a while as he ate before taking him
to the vet.  He passed, but the vet noticed the right front and said it
looked okay, just take it easy, and let him eat a while here.  He had great
gut sounds but the vet wanted him to un-invert before we left.  I gave him
about 20 minutes and he was fine.  (It turns out I told Judy after the ride
and she says, "Oh, yeah, that's normal.  He comes back down in about 10
minutes."  He did that exactly.)  We took it easy out of the check and onto
the next section of trail.  I rode along for a while leading another rider
but left her just after the river crossing.  Yikes!  We entered the water
and moved a couple of feet down stream with every step forward.  That's a
funky feeling, but the Appy loves the water.  He blasted right up the steep
trail on the other side and off we went again at a trot.  I wanted to take
it easy but he was making that difficult.  After a couple of miles I caught
a rider who was walking, but walking fast.  His name is Tony Brickel and his
horse has the fastest walk of any horse, I mean ANY horse I have ever seen,
or will ever see.   Tony's horse had looked a little funny to the vet at
Francisco's, so Tony said he'd just walk in for the finish and make sure the
horse looked okay at the Quarry.   I walked along with Tony for an hour or
so- actually Warpaint was jigging / jogging since he could not walk that
fast.

We got to the Quarry and made it through the check fine.  Jamie was there
and after watching Warpaint trot quickly he said he looked just fine.  I was
pleased and left right away since it was chilly.  I trotted up the road for
a mile or so and caught Tony again!  Man- I was trotting and he was still
walking!  I said I'd see him at the finish and passed him as we trotted
along the wide, flat, road.  We got to the highway 49 road crossing and
walked the steep, nasty trail up and down to the no hands bridge.  Just as I
walk onto the bridge a horse catches me- It's Tony!  It can't be!   "Hey,
how's it going?" he says.  I can't believe it.  Who need to trot?  That
horse could top ten at a walk!  I tell him again I can't believe it and trot
away once more, determined that he's not going to catch me again!   We
trotted along the ravine, only 4 miles to go!  We start up the last hill at
a walk- Warpaint is walking, a little slower now, but I'm just waiting for
Tony and that horse!    He never did catch up to us by the time we got to
the top of the climb.  We headed down into the little last loop, all alone
once again.   No horses, no one, just me and him.  He's still trotting
strongly and wants to hurry up the hills.  Unreal.  I look at my watch- it's
2:00 am.  Wow.  We round the corner and finish at 2:13 am in 32nd place.

We passed the little trot out vet check where I got nailed 2 years ago on
Zion.  (That's  still okay.  He was lame)  So far so good.  Down to the
fairgrounds for the last vet check.  He is at 64 BPM and trots fine.   He
did it!  I'm looking all around for Judy and Sally as I take my lap.  They
don't seem to be here.  I stopped and weighed him for the post ride weight
test.  He weighed 1045 at the start, 1001 at the finish.  The weight guys
were impressed.  I take him over to the big pile of hay bales that he begins
to devour.  While I waited Tony made it in- I asked him how it went and he
told me that he had walked into the finish from Francisco's and only three
riders had passed him, including me.  Amazing.  I waited around for about 40
minutes until Roberta comes up and asks me what I'm doing here so early.
Early?  Ask Warpaint!  I think he could have gone a lot faster, given the
way he looked and felt.  She went and got Judy who felt really bad about
missing me at the finish since they were up preparing the stall.  I didn't't
mind- her horse had done it again and gave me an absolutely flawless ride.

I really enjoyed the awards ceremony, since the Appy had done so well.   I
was really impressed when they gave Tony his 1000 mile buckle.   Yep, I want
one of those, and I'll have one.   There's something about this ride that
will keep me coming back.  Now Warpaint is 3 for 4 at Tevis.  The one he
didn't't finish was when he was one of the horses that slipped down on the
paved bike path at Squaw Valley a few years ago.  I also learned more about
this horse that I ever thought I'd know.  For years I've watched Judy want
to kill this animal at times, but she always sticks it out and is in love
with him at the finish of a ride.  I now understand.  Totally.  Like I said,
he's a major pain at the beginning, but once underway he's the most
incredible horse I've ever sat on.   And now I know the secret!  Maybe I'll
tell Judy, or maybe I'll just tell her he's un-rideable and keep him for
myself.   Oh yeah, fat chance.   The neat thing is that we have both done
the ride on this remarkable horse, who I really believe is one of a kind.
Say hello to him the next time you see him on the trail.  That is, if you
can get his attention.  He will be focusing on what's ahead of him, and how
he can get there in as little time as possible.

I'll be back next year on Shatta.

Nick Warhol
Hayward, ca.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-