Final Commentary on PAC Results

The closing ceremonies are going on now.  When I get BC and team
results - they will be posted.  With 4 of the 8 top positions and
3 of the top 6 - it's hard to believe that any other team than
USA East could win it. They did a great job.  It was too bad that
Steve and Hawk could not have been there - there was a lot of
support e-mail coming to me while the ride was on for them.

Pulls and other look to be 44 of 90 for a 51% completion rate -
about the same as this years Tevis. The terrain is much more
difficult on Tevis - but the speed is much slower as well.

It would be nice to see pulls broken out into MB, L etc. but
that may not happen because this is not an AERC ride.  I am
not trying to second guess officials but it gives me a better
feel for what to watch for in a ride with these conditions
than just a pulled does.  Just as the number of OTs in Tevis
would do the same.

Some teams did much better than others.  Obviously the East did
very well.  PacS had a very tough time - finishing 2 of 6
starters.  And so far as I know - Brian's horse is still out
there somewhere.  It's a very tough thing to have happen.

USCent also had a difficult time - but finished 7 of 12 starting.
It was difficult for Ceci Butler to come in 4th and not be able
to complete.  Looking at the results - there were 4 that had
this happen.  Mike Jaffe(USCent) on his mule Coyote - was
the last to come in at 17:58.

The winning ride time was interesting - within 4-5 minutes
of the winning time in Kansas in 1996. At 9:32 - it was
still a good time for the tough sandy conditions.

There were some well known riders and horses that got pulled -
Earle Baxter- 1st NE HW and second overall in the region, Lari
Shea - has been doing very well with Avantii - winning most of
her rides in the West(second over in points in the West), Cindy
Bell - pulled at the first VC - second overall in SE,  Steve
Rojek and Hawk - longtime favorites of everyone,  famous Ruby,
Kathy Thompson and LS Zane Grey, Rita Swift and Cass, and more.

On the other hand - an equal number of well known and very good
riders/horses were in the top ten - Darla, Christie, Marcia,
Patti, Linda, and more...

I guess it's about what you would expect in a good tough ride -
excellent combinations in both the top ten and in the pulls.
It's what happens when you push that competitive edge to be
the best...

But I just wish they had found Brian's horse...

Signing off until the next time,

Mike and the crew covering the 1999 PAC