RE: Alsike clover

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:48:09 -0700, "Catherine Foster" <foster@unbc.ca>
wrote:

> Does anyone know what alsikes clover looks like?  We have quite a few
> different varieties of clover and I am not sure which one is alsikes.
>
> Cathy

--------------------------------

Hi Cathy,

Alsike clover is a perrienal with complete, finely serrated leaves
(excuse my spelling, it's been awhile since my last forage class :-)).
This means that each leaf has jagged edges all around, compared to other
clovers like alfalfa that are serrated only along the top edge.  Alsike
clover also does not have watermarks on the leaves (white markings).
The blossoms are usually a pinkish color (although an almost red or
almost white blossom can be found), and the stems may have some pink
tinge to them as well.  When allowed to grow, it does tend to get a good
amount of height (12 to 18 inches or so), which is why some of it may be
harvested for hay.  This clover prefers cooler climates and heavy,
poorly-drained soils.  You'll find the majority of this clover in
Canada, Pacific Northwest (US), and Upper Midwest (US).

With alsike clover, two conditions can occur in horses:
photosensitization (primary or secondary) and alsike clover poisioning.
The photosensitization can occur with other clovers as well, not just
alsike.  The poisioning though is associated with some or most of the
following symptoms:  jaundice, blindness, neurological disturbances,
anorexia, and loss of body condition.  Upon death, the liver can be
enlarged and a grayish-brown or grayish-green in color with fibrosis.

The clover may not be the culprit itself, as a case in Canada may have
had an endophytic bacteria playing a role in the alsike poisioning.
Also, it seems that humid or wet weather may be a major contributing
factor in the poisoning and photosensitization.  This wet/humid factor
may substantiate the bacteria or mycotoxin hypothesis, which may explain
why some horses in drier climates have no problems grazing alsike clover
pastures.

Hope it helps some,

Kim (and Lee, a fan of all clovers :-))