Re: Locking fetlock joint

I have a yearling that has exactly the problem you describe.  He locks his
hind leg, sometimes drags it, and sometimes lifts it a little too high to be
right.  Then sometimes doesn't do it at all (it's usually worst in the
morning after he "wakes up").   My vet diagnosed it as a patella problem -
"upward fixation of the patella" to be exact.  On my colt, you can put your
hand on his patella, back him up, and you will feel it pop into the right
place.  The vet came out three times to see my colt's problem - and of
course he never had it when she was there.  I finally got a video of him
doing it.  :-)  Apparently, there are ligaments or tendons or sometin' that
horses can lock into place voluntarily - they do it when they are sleeping
or resting - and my horse is not able to unlock it properly.  The diagnosis
for him is lots of pasture time with hills, and if he doesn't heal up by
himself with strengthening, then there is a 10 minute surgery that can be
done in the vet's parking lot to clip a tiny bit of the offending tendon (or
ligament or whatever that thing is) that will resolve the problem and leave
me with a fully functional horse.  Backing him up does reliably unlock the
patella.  That's part of why the vet couldn't find it - every time before
the vet got there, I caught him, lead him, fly sprayed him, cleaned his
feet, and backed him up (the usual yearling routine).  We will consider
surgery when he is either a late two or as a three year old if this still
troubles him.

Vet said my horse isn't in pain, his knee just feels funny to him.  Like if
you had a knee that went in and out but didn't really hurt.  As a result,
he's not as active as he would otherwise be (doesn't run around pasture
much).  However, there's no swelling, heat, and he never looks like he has
any pain at all.

Hope that's what's up with your friend's mare.  Other possibilities are OCD,
EPM, and a host of more serious problems.  Those things are less likely to
be as intermittent as the patella problem I described above, though.

There was someone on this alias (or maybe the CTR alias?) that told me about
having seeing problem in a couple of mustang horses and having great results
with surgery.

Wish your friend best of luck for me - I know how scary and frightening it
can be not being able to diagnose intermittent lameness.

Good thing I can type so fast since I type SO MUCH...