sense of self-preservation (the equine variety)

Hey folks!

I'm in need of a good dose of reality from some of you old timers (ahem!  I
mean experienced long distance riders) . . .

Have been riding for a long time, doing long distance for the last three
years with a couple of different horses.  Sold one to purchase a youngster
that would be more competitive.

He's a 5 y.o. Arab/Trakehner gelding and extremely athletic.  I've been
riding him nearly a year, and he's done well in a couple of 25 mile ECTRA
CTRs.  Good recoveries, drinks, eats, has terrific gaits, and is generally
bold and trustworthy.  His most significant challenge (and mine) is his
unpredictability.  Much of it was chalked up to being a youngster, but
combining the occasional brain fart with the extreme athleticism has landed
me on the ground more times in the last year than I believe I've fallen off
in all my years previous.  And a concussion.

Yesterday's event concerned me the most.  Cantering up a logging road with
woods on my right and a serious wooded slope on the left, Boy Wonder spooked
at object unknown.  Okay, I can handle that.  But he went left off the edge
of the road, over the slope, and after several long seconds of struggling
(both of us) for any semblance of balance, I landed with an unceremonious
thud of my helmet against a tree.  He almost fell, but was stopped by his
same body part hitting same tree.  He's uninjured, and mostly so am I.

However . . .   what are the chances that this guy just doesn't have the
strong sense of self preservation required for our sport?  He's a talented
dressage horse, and could be *just* that, but I'm wondering if any of you
have experienced the same bizarre behavior in a young horse and found that
the horse did, or did not, grow out of it with miles and consistent training.

Yesterday was just the most recent of many, many such "out of the clear blue"
episodes, but clearly, an unplanned jump over a ledge does disturb my own
sense of self preservation <chuckle>.

Anxiously awaiting your brilliant words of wisdom, and sorry to blather on.

Patti (bruised, but not broken) and Ned (really Mom, whatever it was that
spooked me was vewwwwy, vewwwy scary!)