Re: RC: Unidentified subject! (Marking trail)

In a message dated 7/31/99 11:24:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dpwg@juno.com
writes:

<< For the gal interested in trail markings. I find that
 putting a yellow pie plate with a  reflective arrow just before the turn
 on the same side as the turn allows the rider to anticipate and
 set up their horse for the turn. >>

An interesting option for trail marking.  My method is simple, inexpensive,
BUT non-permanent:  I use index card stock, 8.5" X 11" and print virtually
anything I want on them with a computer program called Print Artist.  I use
either bright orange or bright pink (and I mean BRIGHT) for the cards.
Either of these colors shows up very well in the forest.  The colors fade in
a few weeks so are not a long term investment.  However, I've seen some of
the landmark signs that have been up for several years, but are now white.
They survive rain but not fading.
I staple them to a tree, post, or stake with a big staple gun that I've had
for about 28 years (one of my favorite tools).
Print Artist has numerous symbols, all kinds of arrows and icons (such as the
horseback rider icon that is seen in parks, etc.), and text is limited only
by one's imagination.  I use a laser printer and print about 3-4 landmark
names on one card, then cut them to size on a table-top paper cutter.  I like
to define each notable landmark with a sign so that a rider know where he is,
where a certain incident took place, or just for the rider's enjoyment.
After awhile, riders call each landmark by name and all become famous (or
infamous, as the case may be). Arrows are very large, use the whole card, and
of course can be turned any which way.  I, too, like for the rider to be able
to detect a turn well in advance.  My rule of thumb is "the rider should be
able to see the sign and flagging 100 yards ahead at a gallop", so he doesn't
have to stop and figure out where the trail leads at that point.

BMc