Re: Cause and Effect

In a message dated 8/1/99 8:37:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, rubyjwl@cts.com
writes:

<<  While the
 underlying reason for the saddle slipping may have nothing to do with rider
 error, leaving the scene of an accident without at least surveying the
 wreckage left behind can hardly be considered sportsmanlike. >>

This is probably as important as the fact that whoever the rider was, they
didn't appropriately tack up their horse (whatever that may be for that
horse).  The fact that they could just ride on after CAUSING this horrible
accident is mind boggling!  Now, here is where I think there should be some
kind of retribution possible.  And I'm not talking "shunning" (although
that's all we have available to us).  If a person is caught drugging their
horse, they can be banned for a certain period of time.  How about "hit and
run"?  Any penalty for that?  No?  Maybe there should be.  At Malibu this
year I was run into from behind (by an LDer -- let's not go THERE) and if I'd
been on my green horse, trust me, I'd be telling a different story now (if I
was lucky).  This person did everything but go over the top of us to get
around and didn't care what she left behind.  If she'd left behind a big
wreck, I'd like to think there would be some punishment available.
Unfortunately, as this sport gets bigger, and more people are participating
with different levels of horsemanship we have to think about ways to protect
ourselves and our horses from some of these gross errors.  Don't go crazy,
I'm not talking about anything as extreme as a "helmet rule", just some
'cause and effect' justice that would make people think twice before they
totally abused another rider's safety and rights.

Sylvia