starting younguns

Well, since we're on the subject of starting young horses, I just had to
brag about my big goofy Karahty kid, Dakota.  I'm soooo proud of him!  He's
three and a half and I took him out for his first trail ride today, all by
his lonesome (well, okay, I was there too):-D  I've been having some health
problems, so couldn't really do much, but we walked down the trails, past
the scarey firecamp crews with chain saws, crossed his first creek, stepped
over some logs and rocks, and never turned a hair when a pack of rent riders
went hollering past.  Just walked on out on a loose rein like he had a
mission from God.  I asked for a little working trot and it was like riding
on air.  All in all, a perfect ride, young horse or not.  BTW, he also had
his first show as a junior hunter under saddle last week and was an angel
riding in the midst of twenty other horses.  I told my trainer that some
people think his sire throws bad-tempered babies and he practically fell on
the ground laughing, he said he'd never worked with a more willing and smart
horse in his life.  Best part is, his mom is scheduled for a preg check for
a full sib next week, so greedy person that I am, I hopefully get to double
dip! :-D

Anyway, just had to tell y'all what a fun ride I had. I've been giggling
like a fool all afternoon. :-)))))

Susan G