Buying a horse

When I bought my gelding two and a half years ago, he was six and had been
used for lower-level dressage and some jumping.  Not much time on the
trail.  Much better trained than me, thank heavens, since I was a very
green rider.  Had him vetted.  Paid $2500.  I knew I was paying for his
training (and the registration papers).

I wasn't looking for an endurance prospect.  Didn't know a thing about the
sport.  Just looking to spend hours and hours riding trails on a horse I
liked.  Didn't know a thing about conformation either, though now after
studying Nancy Loving's book I think that his conformation is pretty good.

This newbie has no illusions that we'll ever be a "competitive" endurance
team.  I don't have enough time to train, and he's the wrong breed.

But I don't think I paid too much.  His board for one year, at an excellent
small, family run farm with immediate access to many miles of hilly trails,
costs that much -- a bargain around here.  Not to mention shoeing, worming,
shots, supplements, etc.  I paid that $2500 for a young (but not too
young), healthy, well-trained, sweet-natured horse.  And maybe, just maybe,
we'll be able to do endurance in a year or two.