Re: Endurance & Economics

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Lif Strand wrote:

> Paul adds:  Is anyone really thinking about the implications of the fact
> that people from the Middle Eastern Arabic countries are coming to the
> US & buying top endurance mares for top dollars (10 and more times the
> prices most endurance horses go for here)?  There goes proven genetic
> material from OUR gene pool - gone forever!

Since, so far, all the horses they have bought have been geldings, this is
hardly relevant.  The genetic material of that horse was removed from the
gene pool at the time his balls were cut off, not if he is "sold out of
state" (and besides....with the wonders of modern technology where horses
and semen get shipped all over the world...if the horse weren't a gelding,
it also wouldn't necessarily be lost from "our" gene pool--and just who is
"we" anyway?)

kat
Orange County, Calif.