Endurance Horse Prices 1999

The breeders' discussion has been interesting at a time when I am again
looking for an endurance horse.  The market has changed in the last two
years--noticibly. Two years ago, the top price quoted to me out of
approximately 50 horses was $6000 for a WEC horse. Several more very good
horses had asking prices of $5000.  Many very good horses could be purchased
for $3500.

This year the breeders have seen a sudden upsurge in sales.  Breeders like
Belesemo Arabians went from a dozen good choices to two in the same age
range.  At least three major breeders in our sport report that after almost
no sales last year, they have suddenly sold everything this fall.  People
who were looking last summer suddenly came back this fall and bought horses
in large numbers.  This year's prices (excluding some of the more exotic
breeds I have looked at) range from a low of $5000 to the last quote for a
well established horse of $18,000.  I consider the quality level to be
comparible with two years ago.  BTW, I have had several people helping me
look and all report the same outcome.  Prices on wellbred Arabs or
Arab/crosses which are already competing are going up--rapidly.

Guess the sport is growing in popularity thereby increasing demand. 1999
prices will create real "sticker stock".

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah