Re: HORSES & ECONOMICS

In a message dated 1/22/99 8:05:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, Knaptyme@aol.com
writes:

<< But don't condemn a horse who doesn't have "accepted" breeding and tell the
 person that he will never make and endurance horse.  Who knows, you may find
 that particular breeding does make an excellent endurance horse.

If you have ever discussed pedigrees with me, you will find that even though I
personally happen to be a CMK breeder, I also recognize other lines that
excel.  I have also found some common denominators in horses that fail.  That
does not mean that a horse with 3/4 of his pedigree full of good influences
won't take after those influences and be outstanding despite an ancestor with
poor genetics for the sport.  And if you are riding geldings, it is that
preponderance that counts, not any particular "purity" of pedigree.  I have
also seen some horses that I consider to be negative influences get "credit"
for the success of particular individuals, when, in fact, there were MANY
other wonderful ancestors there that are more likely the source of the
success, but folks don't "recognize" their names.  Too bad.

Heidi