Re: Nez Perce Appaloosas doing the shuffle (longish)

Hi, Jennifer.

That description of the Indian shuffle gait does describe the
singlefoot/stepping pace that most of today's TWH do and most MFT and SB
can be easily trained to do: a broken lateral pace.

The TWH do drop from the womb, doing that gear.  I've observed hundreds of
TWH foals, particularly when I boarded for 4 years at the West's largest
TWH breeding barn, taught handicapped riding there for nearly 7 years.

Bought one of their foals, at a week old.  Had another TWH, that died last
March at nearly 33 years old.

I think the concept of gaited Apps is wonderful!  There are some Arab lines
that will "amble", which is the singlefoot or stepping pace gear, rather
than a square running walk.  Wouldn't mind having one of them, either.

The count when recited out loud for a RW is 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4,.  For a
stepping pace, it's 1-2,uh, 3-4, uh, 1-2, uh, 3-4, uh.

Hope this is somewhat informative.

Lynne
Rem-member Me (Arab who doesn't amble)
Celesteele (metoobie)