Western Saddles for Endurance

I have a simple saddle question.  I have not ridden in any rides yet but I look forward to maybe doing a 25 miler or two this year.  I was reading over the AERC website and noticed it said that western saddles are the worst type of saddle to use on an endurance ride.  I use a western saddle now and it is what I like.  I was wondering how many of you use a western saddle?  Also what is everyone elses' preference?   Thanks.

       A. Felker in Cold and Wet Pennsylvania