Re: colic

I doubt if the hay itself caused the colic. This happened to a mare of
mine in two separate winters. What I narrowed it down to was reduced
water intake. A horse's requirements for water are higher with dry
feeds, and some horses won't drink as much cold water - so it's a
double whammy in the winter.
Some people give their horses warmed water a couple of times a day if
they can't warm the water continually.
At the very least, try to monitor how much she's drinking.
Good luck
Mia

Karen Wendt <kwendt@ados.com> wrote:

> I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a three
year old Tovero mare. Within a month of getting her she got ahold of
some alfafa hay (less than a flake) and within a short time went down
in the stall, back up and down with her front feet out in front of
her. (pulled a tendon)  I didn't know what was wrong and she kept
looking back at her hindquarters. Within 10 minutes she acted normal
so I didn't think too much of it. Didn't even know then that it was
colic.
> About two months later I had a new gelding in the barn and he had
some orchard hay I was weaning him off of and onto our plain old grass
hay. My paint mare got about a flake of this and the same scenario.
Only this time she  kept wanting to lay down and it lasted long enough
to call the vet who had us give her some bantomine and we walked her.
My husband doesn't think it's the hay and a friend of ours said it's
highly unlikely this mare would colic on hay -- it's usually grain or
change in food, worms, etc. I had a fecal test done -- it was ok. I
then had her teeth floated - she had some points. You can bet I
absolutely don't let anything but grass hay in my barn and it's been
three months and no more colic. Is it possible for her to have
colicked on hay?
> Thanks,
> karen
> kwendt@ados.com

<HR>
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I have a question I hope someone can
help me
with. I have a three year old Tovero mare. Within a month of getting
her she got
ahold of some alfafa hay (less than a flake) and within a short time
went down
in the stall, back up and down with her front feet out in front of
her. (pulled
a tendon)  I didn't know what was wrong and she kept looking back at
her
hindquarters. Within 10 minutes she acted normal so I didn't think too
much of
it. Didn't even know then that it was colic.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>About two months later I had a new gelding in the
[...]
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>karen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><A
href="mailto:kwendt@ados.com">kwendt@ados.com</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV></BODY></HTML>