Re: selenium info

In a message dated 1/19/99 4:40:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
arabs2go@yahoo.com writes:

<< To feed 2 oz is probably assuming there is Se in your other feeds, and
 that you have an idle mature horse, and I think Heidi will confirm,
 probably underestimates how much Se a working horse needs. I wouldn't
 suggest exceeding the recommended dosage though, not knowing anything
 else about the feed. >>

This sounds like a pretty typical supplement--the most any of them can put in
by FDA standard is 2 mg per recommended serving, so I'm betting that the above
feed (thanks, Mia, for doing the math) recommends a 2-oz serving.  If this is
a supplement with vitamins and other minerals in it, and if you are in an area
like ours where the forage has virtually NO selenium in it, you still don't
want to feed 4 times the recommended level of the supplement because a) you
don't want to feed 4 times all the other stuff in there, and b) it is likely
expensive!  That is why I recommend the product EqU-SeE (and no, I don't work
for the company!)--all it has in it is selenium and Vitamin E (which won't
hurt a bit to overdo and will also help the horse utilize the selenium), so if
I feed another supplement (2 mg of selenium) and 3x the recommended level of
EqU-SeE (6 mg of selenium) which only comes out to be a tablespoon of the
stuff, presto! I have 8 mg per day!  We need that much here, but for places
that are just marginal, a "regular" high-selenium supplement (the 2 mg per
day) may be enough.  That's why if you're not here in the NW and are in doubt
as to the selenium status in your area and/or of your horse, check with your
county agent and test your horse!

Heidi