Re[2]: cannon bone size

In my first post I state I'm trying to evaluate an endurance prospect
(nearly 7 yr old gelding Arab).  He has "medium" legs.  I'm looking for
(cheap) ways to evaluate soundness and potential.

Susan Garlinghouse replied:

> However, the short answer is that we couldn't find a statistical
> difference in cannon circumference between completions and pulls, but the
> average measurement for all entries was about 7 1/2" measured midway
> between knee and fetlock.  Because Tevis entries are not a random
> population, we drew the conclusions that 7 1/2" is a good measurement to
> shoot for in an average sized (950 pound) horse and the more the
> better.  We also concluded that many horses with inadequate bone went
> lame prior to entering Tevis and so weren't there to be measured in the
> first place.

> We attempted to prove a hypothesis that would have nailed down better
> predictions based on CBC, but the hypothesis didn't prove out---which
> in itself indicated that CBC is only one of MANY factors to consider
> when looking at a prospect.  Of course, look at angles, joints and all
> that.

I was also informed by Lynette that the weight of the horse can also be
considered.   I think this was also Susan's  formula.

> If you add up the total mass of the horse's body weight plus the
> weight of the rider and tack, and divide that number by the cannon
> bone circumference, and then divide that number by two; the resulting
> number should not exceed 80 lbs per inch of cannon bone
> circumference, and ideally should be 75 or less.  Horses that have to
> carry more than 80 pounds of weight per inch of cannon bone had a
> higher incidence of lameness.

I presume an overall average for an endurance type Arab would be around
a 7.5" circumference since body weight would not be that different, but
the weight formula would be a little more accurate.

Ok, there are other factors.  I would think that cannon bone length
would also be a factor because of leverage (torque).  Two horses of
equal height can have cannon bones of different length.  I think I would
prefer the horse with longer upper leg (a larger bone) and shorter
cannon bones.  Has there been a study of cannon bone length?

And as I was reminded by Sandy:

> While circumference is not a small matter, bone density and shape are
> equally if not more important. Many a top notch distance horse had
> seemingly smallish bone, but high quality bone, with good shape and
> excellent density. Good luck! sandy

I agree, but bone density (quality) is much harder to measure.  I think
ultrasound is good for this, but costly.  Are X-rays any good for
assessment of bone density?  I have 3 month old X-rays of this horse.

So now I've decided!  I will take the ratio of upper leg length to
cannon bone length multiplied by cannon bone circumference and divide
that by the number leg X-rays I have and this should be less than his
age in months.  Then I'll say screw it, I'll buy him anyway because he's
pretty and has a good mind.

Thanks for you help.

Jack