selenium/poops/dropping rude bits/etc

Hello Campers!

Well, Maggie -  I have seen selenium info on Heidi's CMK website and
thought I'd better mention it....can't remember the URL though,
sorry....

Don't scroll down if not interested in poops, dropping the
unmentionables or ride food....

I heard some time ago on rec.eq that you could train your horse to
poop in a more specific place in his stall by placing some poop from
a lower ranked herd member in the desired spot. I couldn't try it
because my Nag is unfortunately the lowest ranked guy in the herd
(typical!), but it might work for others? Then you'd spend less time
cleaning stalls and more time (ob)endurancing! <g>

Don't scroll down if not interested in cleaning rude bits or ride
food...

Somebody asked about training a gelding to drop his tackle for easy
cleaning. They said the horse didn't mind being touched which is a
great help! Some hate it and need plenty of practise. My Nag
doesn't mind being touched and I simply watched him and waited to see
when he would normally relax and give his privates a good airing.
After some time it became apparent that he does it while eating
out of a bucket on the floor and he also does it whilst being
groomed, particularly over the hindquarters.

So if I want to clean his rude bits, I get all the stuff together and
either a) give him a bucket of something or b) groom him. Once
dropped he has no objection to being cleaned and I always make sure
that whatever I'm putting on it is around body temp. In fact, my
gelding loves it and I'm always a bit worried that someone will come
round the corner and misinterpret what's going on!!! <ooooh>

If you're not interested in ride food, don't scroll down....

The trouble with sweet things is that I always crave salty things
after having eaten them! So then I've got to have a bag of chips.
And then, after eating the salty stuff, I gotta have sweet stuff.
Then, I've got to have something salty to balance the sweet stuff and
then I must have more sweets! And so it goes on and on and on.....I
once thought  ought to stop this continuous junk food cycle and
decided to carry a healthy banana in my bumbag instead.....

Big mistake.......when hunger finally overcame me and I opened my
bumbag all it contained was this foetid, black, soggy inedible
'thing'......ack!

So! Back to the sweeties and bags of chips! Mmmmmmmm! <g>

Liz and Basil The Nag (I like barbecue flavour!)
--

Dr E Carpenter
Institute for Cardiovascular Research