rice bran;my experience

Just a quick note on this subject: after talking to the rice bran manufacturers
extensively about my horse's energy needs I was convinced that i should up
his rice bran accordingly. At the time I was racing him 100s and he needed
more energy. We went gradually from 2 lbs a day to 4 lbs a day on their advice.
Noone ever mentioned the calcium phosphorus imbalance  to me so god knows how
much calcium I pulled out of his bones. He had absolutely no increase in energy
or body fat, and popped a splint, his first ever, at age 13.
  By the way, much to my distress- he completely refused to eat any type of
mash containing rice bran during a race even tho he usually chows his mash
down like a pig. Maybe he knew something I didn't?
Needless to say I discontinued the use of rice bran now and forever and have
found a much more satisfactory source of energy for him, but that's another
story.
wendy