Re: RC: CIDs

In a message dated 7/14/99 8:56:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Linda_Merims@ne.3com.com writes:

<< What is the history of CIDs in Arabs? >>

SCID has apparently been in Arabs since as far back as we know.  It certainly
isn't a "new" thing--the only thing new is the ability to do a genetic test
to detect horses that are carriers.  It was at one time thought that the
carrier incidence might be as high as 25%, but from what I understand now,
the geneticists feel that the incidence is much less.

<<My breed is Morgans, not Arabs, but I have some dim
recollection that not everybody in the Arab world shared
Lif's outlook.  In fact, I kind of thought the discovery of
CIDs in Arabs created a huge storm of controversy and a
knock-down, drag-out, blood all-over-the-place fight within
the breed over whether CIDs carriers should be allowed to be
registered at all.>>

Originally, when the condition was first identified and the mode of
inheritance figured out, there WAS a big furor within the ranks of breeders,
but for the most part, rationality and knowledge of modes of inheritance have
taken over, and it is now better understood as a disease that can be avoided
altogether with genetic testing.

<< It was a lot like the Impressive Syndrome
problem in Quarter Horses.>>

Not hardly!  HYPP in Quarter Horses is not a recessive!  Instead, it is a
condition in which the genes can have an additive effect--i.e. the
heterozygote is often affected with the problem, and a horse carrying two
copies of the gene (the homozygote) is usually affected worse.  On the
contrary, the heterozygote SCID horse is COMPLETELY CLINICALLY NORMAL.  Big
difference!  I personally would rather have a breeding animal that is
conformationally correct, metabolically tough, athletic, kind, etc., and is a
SCID carrier than I would want to trade any of the above traits for a clear
SCID test.  Don't get me wrong--I think it is wonderful to strive for less
SCID carriers in the breed.  But meanwhile, education is the key, and as long
as breeders are aware of the problem and test for it, and make their breeding
decisions accordingly, then there need never be another foal afflicted with
SCIDS.  Already they are declining in number with the availability of the
test.

<<Are Arabs required to be CIDs tested before they can be
registered?  With a positive or negative indication on the
papers?>>

No.

<< As
somebody interested in heirloom mare lines in Morgans, for
instance, one would hate to get in to the position where
the only living descendants of a "clean" mare line now
have the CIDs gene because the last daughter was crossed
with a CIDs stallion who happened to fullfill the 50%
chance to pass on the gene.>>

Unfortunately, it is the "heirlooms" of the Arabian world that seem to have
the highest incidence, and lord knows that already too many of them have been
lost to not being the "in" thing in the show ring, etc., etc.  And thanks to
the genetic test--if the "last daughter" of somebody happens to produce a
carrier foal, that foal can go on and contribute, provided its mates are
chosen wisely.

Heidi