Re: RC: race track to trail

In a message dated 7/16/99 9:08:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cms@fluent.com
writes:

<< Hi - having personal experience with this, I feel compelled to respond.
 First, $6-7,000 seems like a lot to pay for a horse off the track. You
 can get a horse with trail experience and none of the baggage the track
 creates for half that amount! I own a mare that was race trained and
 raced a few times. Much of her race conditioning was on the trail, so
 making the transition to trail horse was easy. She had lots of
 experience with traffic, obstacles, etc. and loaded/trailered well. She
 adapted easily to new surroundings and had no trouble eating and
 drinking on trail. I had to teach her to understand leg aids, and to
 half-halt and bend. This is commonly not taught in race horse training.
 We had some issues to work out about getting competitive on trail, but
 these seem to be mostly resolved after one year of work.

 I think that the track experience can be good for them mentally. BUT,
 and this is a big BUT, she has developed some soundness problems that
 are a direct consequence, in my opinion, to being worked too hard, too
 early after coming back from an injury (non-track related). This mare is
 7, has lovely conformation and a great mind. She looks like she could do
 100 miles tomorrow, but she won't do endurance. CTR is about as much as
 her compromised body can handle. This saddens me much, because my dream
 is endurance, and I truly enjoy spending time with this mare. I had her
 vet checked when I bought her, but not X-rayed. I would NEVER buy a
 horse from a race program again without having it X-rayed and
 comprehensively vet checked. I bought my mare from someone who also had
 an excellent reputation, and I don't think he intentionally sold me an
 unsound horse - I don't think these guys understand the punishment a
 distance horse has to take - they think short distance and speed, and
 their idea of good conformation is different from ours, in some cases.

 That said, I'm sure there are lots of nice and sound horses that come
 out of race programs, and can think of a few that are very successful at
 endurance. These horses were all started young and worked hard early -
 look at them very carefully! Race horses are taught to lean on the bit
 at the gallop (to hold the jockey up with their faces) - so expect to do
 a bit of retraining in that and other areas. Factor that cost into the
 cost of the horse and $7,000 is no bargain.

 Best of luck finding a good horse!

 Chelle >>

You added a zero Chelle... cost was $600 -$700 see below :)

In a message dated 7/15/99 6:42:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,