Re: RC: race track to trail

>The only training problem *can* be that they're taught to lean on a
>snaffle bit to race, so sometimes taking a hold on them can mean "go
>faster".  My first two off the trackers didn't go well in a snaffle but
>were light as could be in a grazing curb.  The Arabian that I have leased
>for my niece right now was on the track and he's so shy of any contact
>that the slightest snaffle will stop him, so they don't all end up that
>way.

A point to remember here is that "horses don't *lean*, riders *pull*"!
Many horses off the track do beautifully in dressage work which is
primarily snaffle work.  They need to learn a new set of cues which takes
time and patience...but can be very rewarding.  If you always have one
"give and take" rein, it's impossible to lean on it.  They need to learn to
move off the leg and accept the feel of having direct contact with the
human hands.  The important thing here is that the contact with the bit
should be light and always following their head in the beginning.  What
they must learn is that the rider will have the same feel (with minor
variations for cues) no matter where they put their head...not hurting them
but not going away -- and *especially* not letting the reins go loose then
snatching them back and banging them in the mouth with the bit.  Lots of
work at the walk!! ;-)  In the meantime...legs, seat, and weight cues will
be taught.  Balancing reins are another good way to start them during their
lungeing sessions.  They can't lean and the start to build the topline and
balance.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm