Re: CIDs

In cattle, recessive traits that can be breeding tested for are tested for by breeding to known carriers, and the statistical liklihood of those animals being carriers is published in books published just to give the stats on bulls a breeder might want to breed to...

Is this problem one that can be tested for, or breeding tested for, and then those stallions shown to be clear could then be promoted as clear?  Wouldn't that help to eliminate the problem?

I don't do arabs, so know only a little about them.  but couldn't resist dropping my $.02 worth into the discussion.

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:37:52 -0700
From: "Susan Evans Garlinghouse"
To: "Visions of the Wind"
Cc: "ridecamp"
Subject: RC:  Re: Re: CIDs

I agree with Steph and other comments that CID needs to be ruthlessly
culled.  We're not talking something superficial like whether or not a foal
will have high white, we're talking a dead foal.  There are too many people
(unfortunately) that will hide or deny that their stallion is a carrier and
people bringing a mare to that stallion are participating in a lottery that
they aren't even aware of.

Some years ago, Cal Poly had an outstanding stallion that they put up for
sale for a very big price tag.  Before he was sold, he was bred to a number
of the CP mares and turned out to be a carrier.  The price dropped, and the
ads promoting him were changed stating that he was now for sale only as a
gelding.  A prospective buyer (very well known in the show world) offered
the higher price...if they could still have him as a stallion, which they
*were* planning on standing at public stud.  Their attitude was that even if
he was a carrier, and the occasional foal died (theirs or a client's), it
wasn't a big deal.  Cal Poly (very responsibly, I think) said no way and cut
him so that further discussions were moot.

Because it's a recessive gene, it will probably never be eliminated from the
gene pool, but the attempt should still be made whenever possible, IMO.
That's just plain responsible breeding.

--
Karla and fluffs