Wintec

I tried to post to Stacey personally, but it bounced back.

She stated that she didn't think her Abetta is holding up well and
worried about $750 for a Wintec, but couldn't afford an "expensive"
saddle.  I'm poor too and don't think $750 is anything to cough at.

You folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but financially speaking, I think
you're much better off to buy a used leather saddle.  Saare's are nice in
that they are able to advertise the tree width so you can find out if a
saddle fits from across the country.  Desotos are great, but she won't
name her darned trees and it's harder to know if they'll fit.
Ortho-Flex's hold their value well *once they hit the used market*.  I
just got an Ortho-Flex that I am thrilled with the condition of for $750,
and I expect that if I want to sell it next year or the next I'll be able
to get that for it.

I've told this before, but it bears telling.  A friend of mine was robbed
by professional saddle thieves.  They hit 3 barns in the area that day.
They took 2 cheap Western saddles, and left a $750 Wintec sitting there.
(she wished they'd stolen it, it didn't fit her horse).  They robbed
several other barns, took some leather English saddles, but no Wintecs.
To me that means there's no used market for them much and they know it.
To you, it might mean, "good, they won't steal my saddle".  I talked to a
lady who gives kids jumping lessons and uses nothing but Wintecs...loves
them.  I told her that story and she said she had heard the same thing
from other people.

A good leather saddle is a good investment.  It'll hold its value.  Just
don't get the tree broken and don't get it stolen and you won't lose
money if you bought it used.   If you just want to ride a Wintec and it
works, that's great and it's your business.  But her question was about
it holding its value.  I may be way wrong, but these are some things she
might want to mull over.

Angie