Fwd: Progressive dinners, elevator rides, & Manzanita

cancer@simplyweb.net writes:
THIS IS FORWARDED FROM TERRY WHO IS HAVING EMAIL TROUBLE, sans a little bit
of stupidity on my part!
<<
     The term you are looking for is "elevator" ride.  This is where you can
sign
 up for one course length (i.e.  25 miles) and then elevate to the next
distance
 (i.e. 50 miles).  The purpose of the elevator ride is to give riders an
 opportunity to elevate to a longer distance AFTER they have ridden the
shorter
 distance and see how their horse (and sometimes the rider) feels.

     There are certain restrictions that also go along with this.  If you
sign up
 for the 25 and after finishing decide to elevate to the 50, you have left
the 25
 mile division and if you do not complete the 50, then you do not get credit
for
 the 25 (no completion award, plus you still have to pay the difference in the
 ride fees).  Also, if you elevate to the longer course, you cannot place, but
 only receive completion. (no bonus points, or top ten, etc.).  The purpose
 really is for riders to attempt a longer distance after they have ridden the
 shorter one.  So often,  new riders or riders with a new horses, are
hesitant to
 sign up for a longer distance because they are not sure whether they are
ready.
 I think each of us at some time has entered a ride and thought either, "The
 horse felt great -- I should have done the 50", or "I signed up for the 50
and
 wish I had only done the 25."  This gives riders a chance to sign up for a
 shorter distance and then elevate if the conditions are right that day for a
 longer distance.

     With respect to the Manzanita and Desert Pines, these will be elevator
 rides.  The Manzanita ride will have a 25, 50, and 75.  Riders can elevate to
 the next highest distance.--  the 25 can elevate to the 50, and the 50 can
 elevate to the 75.  The Desert Pines ride will have a 80 and a 100 mile
course.
 This would be a good opportunity for those who have never done a 100.  They
 could sign up for the 80 and elevate to the 100 if they felt the conditions
were
 right.  Since the Manzanita and the Desert Pines  go in different directions
and
 start at different times, those who want to do the 100 have to start the 80
in
 the  Desert Pines ride.  As typical with our rides, there will be food along
the
 course and lots of volunteers to help so riders do not need a crew to do any
of
 the distances.  The basecamp is again at the Manzanita Horse camp which has
 plenty of corrals, hookups and showers.

     I hope this explained how it works.

     Since you are already on my sucker list, you will automatically get an
 entry, but anyone else who has not done one of my rides can email me for an
 entry.  They should be out by August 1.

 Terry Woolley Howe

---- Begin included message ----

SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

> Hey what is the deal on Manzanita? Is it really a progressive ride? how will
> this work?
> Sandy

Sandy,

    Wrong terminology Sandy.  When I think of "progressive", I think of
progressive dinners where you keep moving from house to house through various
courses of dinner.  I haven't gotten to the point yet where we're are going to
serve different courses of the meal at the various vet checks (although it is a
thought!).

---- End included message ----