Horse Weight

My thanks to all those who responded to my questions about my gelding
(first bellboots, then grade one lameness).  Vet was out yesterday, and
since all my soaking and bandaging with ichthammol has not resulted in any
change, he's inclined to think that it's a bruise and not an abscess.  Am
administering bute and will pad him for a while.  If he improves, will
start very light riding in a week or so and get back on the trail soon
thereafter.

Vet agreed that Jack's weight is probably about 50-70 pounds heavier than
ideal for distance work (before this lameness, we'd been doing 20-25 slow
miles per week).  Jack is 15.1.  At this point, should I assume that work
will consume the extra weight, or should I make dietary changes to get it off?

If I should make changes in his diet, what changes?  He's on pasture 24/7
except to get his meager summer grain ration and supplements (biotin, SeE,
garlic) twice a day.  Would it be better to substitute soupy beet pulp for
his grain (it'd be easier to hide the garlic <bg>)?  If I go to beet pulp,
should I continue with a handful of grain to keep his gut accustomed, or
just re-introduce grain gradually when it's needed?  There is another
gelding at the farm who cannot be on the richest pasture because he gains
weight as the sight of grass, so Jack could probably have his grass
exposure adjusted as well.

I'm trying not to make this too complicated, because he's the only horse
boarded at this small farm who's in training for anything.  Most of the
others are retired or barely ridden (the down side of very good care is
that boarders stay put and you end up with a lot of older horses -- at
nine, Jack is the baby).

Grateful for Ridecamp,

Cindy Eyler
Baltimore MD