Re: RC: US Forest Service Special Use Permits

> I am curious.  What is involved in getting a U.S. Forest Service Special
> Use permit for a ride?

I have a few of the answers from conversations with the USFS office at
Long Leaf in MS, though I haven't put on a ride myself:

>  - How long in advance do you have to apply?

There is a new regulation in place that requires an environmental impact
study be conducted prior to granting a special use permit, so now you have
to apply about 6 months in advance.  That's new, down here at least.

>  - What kind of restictions do they place on your activities?
>    - For example, I've heard something somewhere about
>      not being able to run a money-making event on public
>      land.

Ummm, I dunno about restrictions, but a special use permit is required if
there are over 50 participants (I think that's the number) OR if money is
charged for the event (doesn't have to be profitable, necessarily, but if
there's a ride fee for example).

>    - Insurance coverage?
>  - How much do they cost?

I don't know about those two things.

>  - Does it matter if the ridecamp is on Forest Service land?

I don't know what you mean by "does it matter" but I know that the Long
Leaf ridecamp is in the campground on the USFS land, and all trails used
are USFS land, so I know that's allowed, if that's your question.

>  - Has the current Forest Service moratorium on road construction
>    and maintenance had any effects on your rides?

I don't think that is universal, because Long Leaf is in the process of
improving some of their roads right now (widening the road into the horse
camp, for example) and I know they were using special money earmarked for
that purpose.  I don't know what affect that would have on the rides
anyway.

> All-in-all I'm wondering just how big a red-tape deal it is to run
> a ride on Forest Service land.

I have the impression that it depends a lot on the attitude of the USFS
personnel in the district where you plan the ride.  The guys at Long Leaf
are very friendly and really want to see more horse activities take place
there, so they are extremely helpful, and I don't think it's that
difficult to get the permit and follow their rules.  I'm sure that a bad
attitude from the district office could make things tougher, though.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region