RE: stallion owners/vets

Title: RE: stallion owners/vets

April,

What do you mean by putting a ring on your colt?  I've never heard reference to this term before!

Stallions CAN become more studdy after breeding if they haven't been taught good manners before hand.  The stud needs to learn a <distinct> difference between work under saddle and breeding times.  Sometimes a little Vicks Vapor Rub near their nostrils will help keep their mind on work - it over powers the smell of any mares nearby, but it doesn't substitute for ground manners.

I worked with a stud many years ago who was a gentleman under saddle and a very easy breeder.  He had LOTS of groundwork on him.  It paid off when I had to hold him and two mares (one in season) while my partner attended to a severely injured rider.  He nickered once, had this look of "Uh Oh!"  and hung his head.  He waited patiently under tack on my right with the two mares on my left.  (No trees, etc. to tie to.)

I'd be REALLY interested to hear what this "Ring" happens to be.  I worked at some race barns in FL in the early 80's, and I don't remember this term.  Maybe I saw it but didn't call it the same?

Linda

april battles arabnracer@aol.com wROTE:
Would like to get feedback from stallion owners/vets on putting a ring on my 2yr stud colt. Have had feedback regarding not breeding till stallion is working and know his job-endurance horse-so if I'm not going to breed for 2 years should I put a ring on him as suggested by my naturopath horse chiropracter. He said if they ejaculate it increases the testosterone levels. I keep him turned out with 2 geldings that teach him his manners, he's very calm and easy to work with, have front shoes on him and have started ponying on trails, loads, clips, ponies well-drags a 20 ft black tarp in his teeth, can sit on him when he's laying down, small children can feed him treats unsupervised-he's soooo mellow and has such a great tempermant want to keep it that way-and in tact too as he's a black sweepstakes stallion that's 14.2hh with 7 1/2 cannons already

so would appreciate any feedback-my horse chiropracter says all the stallions on the race track have rings on them without any physical problems-keeps their mind on work

thanks
email arabnracer@aol.com